Translate

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

SBC'S TOP EXECUTIVE, FRANK PAGE, RESIGNS AMIDST ADULTERY CONFESSION

SBC'S TOP EXECUTIVE, FRANK PAGE, RESIGNS AMIDST ADULTERY CONFESSION 
SEE: http://pulpitandpen.org/2018/03/27/sbcs-top-executive-frank-page-resigns-amidst-adultery-confession/republished below in full unedited for informational, educational, and research purposes:
Frank Page has been the president and chief executive officer (CEO) of the Southern Baptist Convention’s executive committee since 2010, a position in which he overseen hundreds of millions of Cooperative Program dollars . He also served as President of the Southern Baptist Convention (2006-2008) and Vice President of the North American Mission Board (2009-2010). Page has also resigned from his position at the SBC Executive Committee, and after a quick attempt to leave without explanation, was forced later in the day to concede that it was over “an improper personal relationship” that those outside of the evangelical world call “adultery.”
Last night, the officers of the SBC executive committee were notified by Page of his retirement. According to reports at the “Baptist Press,” Page did not notify them at the time as to why he was quickly retiring. Today, Stephen Rummage – chairman of the Executive Committee – issued a statement explaining the real reason for Page’s departure, which he did not find out until later.
Rummage wrote:
Last evening, the officers of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee met via phone conference with Dr. Frank Page during which he announced his plans for retirement. Today, I spoke with Dr. Page and learned that his retirement announcement was precipitated by a morally inappropriate relationship in the recent past…This news will, we understand, bring great sorrow. I have shared with the Executive Committee officers what Dr. Page shared with me, including Dr. Page’s repentance and deep regret that his actions have caused pain for others.

Page also made a statement, as follows:
It is with deep regret that I tender my resignation from the SBC Executive Committee and announce my retirement from active ministry, effective immediately. As a result of a personal failing, I have embarrassed my family, my Lord, myself, and the Kingdom. Out of a desire to protect my family and those I have hurt, I initially announced my retirement earlier today without a complete explanation. However, after further wrestling with my personal indiscretion, it became apparent to me that this situation must be acknowledged in a more forthright manner. It is my most earnest desire in the days to come to rebuild the fabric of trust with my wife and daughters, those who know me best and love me most.
Page acknowledges that his first retirement announcement didn’t explain the nature of his resignation – he says – to protect his family and those he has hurt. It seems that pressure was put on Page throughout the day to be forthright and to make a public statement, which doesn’t speak well of his supposed repentance.
Frank Page was a supporter of Donald Trump, and ‘spiked the football’ after his election, writing that Southern Baptists helped elect him out of “principles and pragmatism.” In that post, Page said he would encourage Trump to help protect marriage.
Irony.
We hope and pray that Dr. Page is brought to repentance, and that his marriage can overcome this hardship. We pray for his wife and children. We also pray for the other person involved, and we hope that they receive the help they need as well.
_________________________________________________________________
SEE ALSO:

Frank S. Page, top Southern Baptist leader, resigns due to 'morally inappropriate' relationship


EXCERPTS:
"As a result of a personal failing, I have embarrassed my family, my Lord, myself, and the Kingdom," Page said in a statement released through the Baptist Press. 
"Out of a desire to protect my family and those I have hurt, I initially announced my retirement earlier today without a complete explanation," Page said. "However, after further wrestling with my personal indiscretion, it became apparent to me that this situation must be acknowledged in a more forthright manner. It is my most earnest desire in the days to come to rebuild the fabric of trust with my wife and daughters, those who know me best and love me most."
"It is unclear the exact nature of the inappropriate relationship."